Thursday, February 16, 2012

Perks

Lyssa's valentine crocodile and fistful of candy
Amber's turtle
I love my job. It has made my life very busy, but I am grateful for the things it's taught me, too. I get to go to assemblies, reptile shows, music time, class parties and get lots of hugs. I got a HAUL this Valentines day, which was so fun! Scott thinks he's off the hook because I got so much stuff, but he has a couple more days to figure out he still owes me.
I forgot how exciting holidays are. I also forgot how satisfying a simple coloring sheet can be. I FINALLY learned how to tell the difference between a crocodile and an alligator, and between a turtle and a tortiose. I remember wanting to please the teacher. I feel such pride in our country as I watch the kids sing all the verses to My Country 'Tis of Thee and recite the pledge of allegiance every morning. I'm reminded how resilient kids are. The school I work at has the poorest kids in the city, and they have some sad stories. But they are mostly happy and learn quickly. It has been so rewarding and fun. I wish I had more time to spend in my own kids' classrooms, but I know they're doing well.
Anyway, our Valentine's day was great! I was feeling proud of myself getting everyone dressed in pink and red and having their valentines all ready for their classes and teachers (myself included). And then came home to find out Livi's class actually DID have party, even though I never saw a note. I was so embarrassed. But she thought it was awesome to just sit there and watch people give her candy. I sent her candy with her the next day with a note apologizing for being a bad parent. Just when you start thinking you're good...

No comments: