Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Love month

I want to raise kids who are aware of other people and are able to see when they are in need. It doesn't help that Scott is always on failblog and showing them videos of people getting maimed and hurt and laughing his head off. Now all my kids think human suffering is the funniest thing ever. So in February we had a lesson on compassion and then dedicated the month to showing love to others.
We visited a nursing home and took some ugly homemade Valentines made by yours truly (the residents loved them anyway), went to the food bank and donated food and decorated goodie bags for the kids that come in, and took cookies around to our underappreciated primary teachers. I hope we were able to do a little good.
"Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves, the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others. By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves."
President Hinckley

No comments: